I believe that the better we are as players, the more fun we can have. In my best playing days, I experienced a great deal of joy in playing horn, and I want my students to experience such joy and pleasure in their own playing. As we clear away those blocks and constrictions in your own playing, you will be able to more fully express what is in your heart.
What I can offer:
- Over four decades of experience playing solo and large and small ensembles.
- Over four decades of teaching experience.
- A unique integration of training and experience in musical performance, musical scholarship, yoga, Alexander technique, psychology, the Taubman Approach, vision therapy, and other techniques that bring health, ease, and excellence to horn playing.
- A compassionate yet demanding outlook. I believe that if you want it, you can do it!
What you need:
- An established daily horn practice of at least one hour a day, or a commitment to create that practice.
- Curiosity about the body/mind/heart/music connection.
- An open mind about trying new things.
- You are willing to DO THE WORK!
Call me to meet for a thorough assessment of your playing and recommendations of where to go from here. From there, we can determine whether to meet again, or regularly, to build your own practice.
Solo Music for Natural Horn
Jean Rife, natural horn
Martin Pearlman, piano
Daniel Stepner, violin
Fortunato Arico, cello